Monday, February 1, 2010

Be pro customer

One advantage of having a small business is the ability to provide great customer service. This will separate you from other small businesses and from the big companies.

I have noticed how many companies have transferred their customer service and 800 numbers to other countries in order to save money. I don't know about you, but every time I call my bank and somebody from India reads from a script it makes me wonder. The last time I called, the agent repeated what I had just told her not to say because I know the script by heart (all the companies seem to have the same script too). If you are going to keep your call center outside the US, at least get employees that speak the language, understand what they are being asked and have some leeway on what they can do for your customer.

For those of us who have small businesses, the key is your level of customer service. I believe in treating people the way I want to be treated. This includes going above and beyond what a client expects of me. There may be instances where you will loose the client anyway. There are some people that you will never be able to please. Wouldn't you rather part ways knowing that you did your best and gave it your all?

When a customer complains, look at it as an opportunity to learn more about your products and services and not as a bothersome part of doing business. If you look at it as something positive, your experience will be better and your client will appreciate your efforts. Do the right thing and your clients will thank you.

Don't forget: treat your customers the way you want to be treated and turn a complain into an opportunity. Once you get used to giving great customer service, you will not settle for anything less.

No comments:

Post a Comment