Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Writing on Your Head

When I was still in college I worked for a company that created messages for telephone systems. In 30 seconds or less, you had to promote a product or service. It was like twitter but in audio and it was a lot of fun.

I love writing. Out of all the tasks and jobs I've had, that is the one constant in my life. I have the added advantage of being bilingual (English - Spanish), which comes in handy because I can also work translations. I don't believe that vocabulary is the most important thing when writing. The ability to have people understand your message is more important than the words you use.

Think about your audience. If you are writing something for a group of technical people, then their jargon is appropriate. If you are writing for their customers, the jargon is confusing and unnecessary.

Never talk over or under your audience. Sometimes in our attempts at reaching a large audience, we sound like we are writing to three year olds. People get easily bored by things that are either too complicated or too simplistic. Strike the right balance.

More important, write about what you know. Your passion and knowledge will always shine through your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment